Saturday, October 20, 2007

Inaugural post

Welcome, I am new to the world of posting, so please forgive any errors on my part, such as rudeness or lack of blogging etiquette; appropriate comments to gently instruct me in the right ways would be very much appreicated.

It is my intention to post about news items and other issues that occur, that may occur to me because of conversation with others, or personal reflection. I don't know how topics may occur to me; I imagine that readers may respond with thoughtful comments leading to further posts, etc. As I say, this is new to me, so I am not altogether sure what to expect.

I do hope to develop some of my own rules of etiquette and expectations. One thing I hope to accomplish by this process is to further the cause of affirmation of fellow travelers in this fantastic universe into which our Creator has put us. It is my belief that the material world in which we humans find ourselves is a sacred trust from our divine Master, even as we are sacred to one another in the Master's eyes. This being so, I mean this post to be one more means in this world of affirming the worth of humanity, both individually and collectively. This is not meant to suggest that humans are 'superior' in any way to the rest of the Master's creation, but only that we are very much loved, even as all creation is in its own way. I don't know that superiority is any way implied by suggesting that human life is worth a great deal. We have a role to play as faithful stewards. Let us help one another to fulfill it. I have read somewhere that some of the ancient Stoics were guided by the ethical precept that that which is truly good for an individual is truly good for the entire universe, and the converse being true as well. I see some wisdom in this idea. As one trusts in the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth for my deliverance from sin and eternal death, I see some common ground in this Stoic concept. Surely, not all Stoic thought matches that of Jesus, but some were surely moved by the Spirit of God to say wise things, and I believe this to be one of them. If you know precisely which ancient philsopher said this, be it Zeno, Epictetus, Seneca, or another great Stoic thinker, please inform me where it is written. I would like to know. In the meantime, whether I am right in attributing this thought to the Stoics or not, I do believe that I cannot claim to work for the ultimate good of the universe and still harbor hatred toward a single man or woman. Or, to put in the language of the New Testament book of James, I cannot claim to love God and hate my brother. Jesus said that there are two great commands, to love God with our whole being, and our neighbors as ourselves. I cannot do one without the other.

We common citizens of the Master's universe may not always agree on the methods of how to achieve the greater good, or the good of one, but I have a faith that believes we can begin with common beliefs and work to understand one another better. This, is turn, can lead us to learn more about the nature of 'good,' or God, and so live as we are designed to live, in mutul beneficial relationships with one another and with the material world. To this point, I believe we have learned that part of what is 'good' is the idea that love for one another is best when not tied to expectations from the object of that love. Some call this 'unconditional' love. Many Christians tend to believe this is the kind of love the Creator/Master has for all people. I believe this, and I ask anyone to at least consider it as true. It is difficult to believe if you have known much more hatred than love from those in your lives, and I have to understand that. And this makes it much more important for those of us who believe it to continue to model it, that is, to DO GOOD for those who are NOT necessarily doing good for us. Many have advocated this, and in our own time M. Scott Peck has challenged us to love those whom we don't FEEL like loving. This is its true test, and I pray the Spirit of God on each of us to bring us to love one another this way. It is true joy!

Thank you for reading my opening remarks. I hope it gives a flavor of what will come, but then again, I don't mean to tie myself down to certain topics. I am willing to consider most topics, even though I know little of them. May God bless you and those you love!
Brett

No comments: